Rogue River Hiking
Rogue River Hiking Trips | 1-866-213-7754 or Book Now

Trail Map

Rogue River Hiking Map

The 40 mile Rogue River National Recreation Trail parallels the Wild and Scenic Rogue River Canyon from Grave Creek to Illahe. Our hiking trips start at the Grave Creek boat ramp and end at Foster Bar. The main trail is located on the north bank of the Rogue River.

Click the map below to enlarge:
Rogue River Trail Map

Along the trail, a mile-by-mile guide:

Mile 0.0 Grave Creek – north bank. The Rogue River Trailhead is located west of the boat landing. This is the beginning of the Wild Rogue River.

Named after the grave of Martha Leland Crowley, daughter of a pioneer couple. Martha was buried under an oak tree near the creek in 1846.

Mile 0.1 Grave Creek Rapids – you’ll be able to see the rafts (carrying your overnight gear and food) run these rapids.

Rogue River HikingMile 0.6 Sanderson Homesite – north bank. The remains of a concrete foundation from a home built in 1940 by the Sanderson brothers (miners) can be seen. Evidence of old mining operations exists at this site. The cabin was dismantled in 1971.

Mile 1.1 Sanderson – The concrete piers visible on both sides of the river are all that remain of the bridge used for mule pack trains and foot traffic. The bridge was built in 1907 and was destroyed by flood in 1927.

Mile 1.8 Rainie Falls – A narrow zone of extremely durable amphobolite has made this area more resistant to erosion resulting in a 15 to 20 foot high falls. The falls were named after old man Rainie who lived in a small cabin below the falls and made a living by gaffing salmon.

Mile 2.1 China Gulch – north bank. This gulch was named after the Chinese miners who worked in the area in the late 1800s. Around 1946, Joe Utassey (a miner) built a cabin on the north side of the river and planted apple and pear trees.

Mile 2.6 Hansen Saddle Fault – This fault zone, the first of two the trail crosses within a mile, is several hundred feet wide and marked by the presence of shiny, greenish-black rock called serpentine. These faults are major dislocations of the earth’s crust and it is believed the serpentine has been squeezed like toothpaste out of a tube into these weakened zones from a deeper layer of the earth.

Mile 3.1 Rum Creek – south bank. “Bedrock” Nell (a miner) lived on Rum Creek in the late 1920s and 1930s. Rum Creek is approximately 10 degrees cooler and fresher than other creeks and salmon can often be found schooling at the mouth of the creek.

Whisky Creek – north bank. About 1/4 mile up the creek is Whisky Creek Cabin. The cabin was built by a placer miner about 1880. The last miner to live at this cabin (1957-1973) was Lou Reuben Martin. Whisky Creek Cabin is on the National Register of Historic Places, and offers a glimpse into the pioneer history of the Rogue River.

Mile 3.2 Old Rogue River Trail – This was the trail used by miners and settlers in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The trail came in on the north from Mt. Reuben.

Mile 3.5 Cedar Mountain Fault – This fault zone, like Hansen Fault upstream, also contains serpentine with surfaces smoothed and polished by tremendous pressures generated by movements of the earth. At the trail level, most traces of this fault are covered by the gravel bar of Whisky Creek and landslide debris of Big Slide.

Mile 3.7 Big Slide – north bank. In the late 1800s a landslide blocked the entire river, causing it to back up as far as Hellgate Canyon (15 miles upriver). Another small more active slide can be seen in the sheared rocks of the Cedar Mountain Fault zone just across the river from Big Slide camp.

Mile 4.4 Alder Creek – north bank. Lou Martin mined for gold here, but was unsuccessful.

Mile 4.7 Booze Creek – north bank. Hardrock mining was attempted here but no gold was found.

Mile 5.0 Wildcat Camp – south bank. Our Camp-Camp-Lodge hiking trips sometimes spend the first night at this camp.

Mile 5.8 Russian Creek – north bank. Named after a Russian gold prospector who lived in the area.

Mile 6.1 Montgomery Creek – south bank. During the Depression there was extensive gold mining on Montgomery Creek. More than 25 buildings were located on the north bank of the river until they were destroyed in the 1955 flood.

Mile 7.6 Bronco Creek – north bank. This was originally Jackass Creek (1855), named so because of the loss of a pack burro during an Indian skirmish.

Mile 9.6 Black Bar Lodge – south bank. Black Bar is named after William Black who was killed here, put into his boat, and shoved into the river by his assailant. The lodge was built in 1932. Our “All Lodge” hiking trips spend the first night at Black Bar.

Mile 11.1 Horseshoe Bend – Because the rock across the river is harder, it forced the river to carve its channel into the adjacent softer rock, creating the tight, horseshoe-shaped curve.

Mile 12.3 Copsey Creek – north bank. Price Copsey mined the area around Horseshoe Bend. His cabin was located on the south side of the river, 1 1/2 miles below Black Bar.

Mile 13.6 Meadow Creek – north bank. Miners used a winch to move large boulders on the bar, then mined the sand that had accumulated around the base of the boulders. Dutch Henry came to live at Meadow Creek. He raised cattle and grew fruit on his homestead.

Rogue River HikingMile 15.4 Kelsey Creek – north bank. The creek and Kelsey Canyon are named for Colonel John Kelsey who led a group of territorial volunteers against Chief John’s Indian forces in the spring of 1856.

Mile 15.5 Corral Creek – north bank.

Mile 16.6 Battle Bar – south bank. Named because of a fight between Colonel Kelsey’s calvary on the north bank and a band of Takelma Indians on the south bank.

Mile 16.6 Ditch Creek – north bank. This was the site of former placer mining activity as evidenced by the piles of gravel scattered about the creek.

Winkle Bar – north bank. Western writer Zane Grey bought the mining claim for this site from a prospector in 1926. Grey then had his cabin built and used it for a place to stay while he was fishing and writing.

Mile 18.5 Missouri Creek/Bar – south bank. This is a frequent camp for our second night on the river. Our rafts will ferry hikers across the river.

Mile 19.4 Quail Creek – north bank. Site of the Quail Creek Fire of 1970.

Rogue River HikingMile 23.0 Rogue River Ranch – north bank. Rogue River Ranch is on the National Register of Historic Places and is nestled in the heart of the Rogue River’s wild section. You are welcome to visit the ranch area and look inside the museum. Bureau of Land Management caretakers voluntarily staff the Ranch.

Mile 23.2 Marial Road – follow to the west. The trail runs on this road about 2.8 miles from the ranch to 0.2 miles beyond the Mule Creek Guard Station.

Mile 23.5 Mule Creek – north bank. This creek was named in the summer of 1852 when a company of soldiers from Fort Orford tried to open a trail along the Rogue. A member of the party later related that a Lt. R.S. Williamson rode a mule named John. When the mule was turned loose to graze near the stream, it wandered off and was not found despite a thorough search. Because of this incident, the stream was named John Mule Creek, but later shortened to Mule Creek. The tale ended happily several years later when Williamson found his mule.

Mile 24.3 Marial Lodge – north bank. The lodge and the community of Marial were named after the first proprietress of the lodge, Marial Billings Akesson. Marial was raised on the river and operated Marial Lodge until 1967. Born in 1894 to Tom (second son of John and Adeline Billings) and Anna Billings. The Post Office located at Marial was unique. As late as 1963, mail was transported to Agness by mule or horse from Marial, and then to Gold Beach by boat, as there were no roads. The old pioneer cemetery near the end of the road is the burial spot for several old families of local importance.

Mile 24.5 Mule Creek Canyon – Two large boulders called “Jaws” or “Guardian Rocks” mark the entrance to the canyon.

Blossom Bar Rogue RiverMile 25.6 Stair Creek – south bank.

Mile 25.7 Inspiration Point – Inspiration Point overlooks Stair Creek Falls from the north bank. The trail is on a narrow ledge high on the cliff. Below can be seen deep, cool pools where salmon gather in the summer.

Mile 27.1 Blossom Bar – Named after the wild azaleas that bloom here. Blossom Bar was the site of a stamp mill used in mining operations. The rapids used to be impassable until Glen Wooldridge blasted out the rocks to make a passage.

Mile 27.9 Paradise Creek – north bank. Cascades over a rock wall into the Rogue from the north.

Mile 28.3 Paradise Bar Lodge – north bank. This is where we stay on night three of our hiking trips.

Mile 29.0 Huggins Canyon – This section of the Rogue was named by Glen Wooldridge after a local hunter, Andy Huggins. Huggins lived for many years at Half Moon Bar, where his grave is located.

Mile 31.0 East Creek – south bank. This is the site of the former “General’s Cabin” owned by Generals Eakers, Spaatz, LeMay, Anderson, and Twining. The land was sold to the group by Wooldridge as a former mining claim.

Mile 31.2 Brushy Bar – north bank. Forest fires burned this area in 1905, resulting in low, dense brush growing over the area and giving it its name. Mining was extensive here, and ditches are still evident.

Rogue River Hiking SignsMile 31.7 Solitude Bar – north bank. This location bustled with mining activity around 1900.

Mile 32.9 Tate Creek – north bank. The Rogue River trail crosses a bridge above a beautiful waterfall.

Mile 33.0 Camp Tacoma – north bank. Named after a mining operation from Tacoma, Washington. Extensive mining was done in this area early in the century.

Mile 33.2 Clay Hill Creek and Lodge – north bank.

Mile 34.8 Flora Dell Creek – The creek is named after Flora Dell Thomas, Hathaway Jones’ wife. Flora Dell Creek plunges over a 30 foot sheer wall into a deep trailside pool.

Mile 36.2 Dans Creek – north bank.

Mile 39.0 Big Bend – Site of the last Indian battle of the 1855-1856 wars. On May 27, 1856 the 30 hour Battle of Big Bend began. Two days later the Upper Rogue Band of Indians surrendered to Colonel Buchanan at Big Bend. Nearly 1200 Indians from southern Oregon were transported by steamer and land to the Siletz Reservation 125 miles to the north. This ended the days of the Indians in the Rogue River Canyon.

Billings Creek – north bank. The creek was named after John Billings. John (a miner) and his wife Adeline (a Karok Indian) moved from the Klamath River to the mouth of the Illinois River, in 1868 with their their children.

Mile 40.0 Foster Bar/Foster Creek – north bank.

Are you looking for a Rogue River rafting trip? If so, check out our Rogue River rafting website.